MY TOP 10 DRAMAS:
1. My Name Is Kim Sam Soon (내 이름은 김삼순)
If there’s a perfect K-drama, then this is it for me! The best thing that ever happened in K-dramaland. The drama that started my obsession with Kim Sun-Ah, Korean dramas, Korean language and Korean culture. Very special, meaningful and closest to my heart. Wonderful characterization. Funny yet heart-warming and realistic. A drama that taught me a lot of things. Of course Kim Sun-Ah is the BEST!
I guess no matter how many good dramas come in the future, My Name Is Kim Sam Soon would remain as my top drama – now and forever. It paid enough rent in my heart to last a lifetime. But seriously, it was Sam Soon’s character that made this drama extra EXTRA special. And so far I haven’t met a drama character as wonderful and as real as her! Sam Soon rocks!
2. Sand Glass (무래시계)
Need I say more? It wouldn’t be one of the highest-rated TV series in Korean broadcasting history for no reasons. It’s a masterpiece!
3. Alice in Cheongdamdong (청담동 앨리스)
Well and bravely written realistic drama. Touches issues that are not usually addressed in Kdramaland. Not to mention Moon Geun Young is awesome – as always! L’effort est ma force.
4. City Hall (시티홀)
Love, LOVE and more LOVE! Although I found a great love story in Scent Of A Woman, I still believe that there is nothing sweeter and more romantic than this one. A drama that taught me to be courageous and not to give up. Also a drama that raised my standards in men a hundred and ninety-nine notches up. Wonderful story! Wonderful chemistry between Kim Sun-Ah and Cha Seung-Won! Wonderful OST! Oh, and did I say it’s wonderful?
5. Rooftop Prince (옥탑방 왕세자)
A really fun and funny drama! One of the best time warps drama in my book! I also love the twist! Also heart-wrenching! Oh my 저하!!!
6. A Gentleman’s Dignity (신사의 품격)
It’s written by K-drama goddess Kim Eun Seok, so what else do you expect? Romance, one-sided love, ahjussis, Jang Dong Gun – I’m totally sold!
7. Scent Of A Woman (여인의 향기)
Bravely written. Wonderful execution. Kept me at the edge of my seat from the get go. Impossible not to be emotionally attached to the characters. A drama that can make me cry by the mere thought of it – not because it is sad but because it pulls a dozen heartstrings. A drama that taught me a dozen and two life lessons. A drama that is a bit difficult to let go of. If dramas can be hugged, then this is the drama I want to hug forever. 토닥 토닥.
8. H.I.T. (히트)
Beautifully written. Not a single boring part. Can’t stop watching (and re-watching it). Ms. Go is simply awesome here!
9. On Air (온에어)
Beautifully and carefully written story! I can totally relate to the tv production storyline. Good chemistry among the 4 cast. Lee Bum-Soo is really great! Park Yong-Ha is really handsome. I realized Kim Ha-Neul is good. And Song Yoon-Ah is lovable!
10. Flowers For My Life (꽃 찾으러 왔단다)
A brave drama that tackles death in a very frank yet heartwarming way. Unusual plot with unusual characters played well by excellent actors. I’m just so glad to have watched this. It’s just that it can’t capture my attention like other dramas when I can’t help but watch episode after episode. But nonetheless it is, and will remain as one of the best Korean dramas ever!
MY OTHER FAVORITES
I Do I Do (아이두 아이두) – An unusual drama with your not-so-usual female lead character and not-so-usual male lead character. A drama that deals with the struggles of an powerful woman. I love the brave and mature attack of this dramas to different issues. Has taught me a thing or two about the future.
The Women Who Still Wants to Marry (아직도 결혼 못하는 여자) – Goes straight to your heart! Jung Da-Jung is sooo cute, and I want to be like Boo Gi-Woogie!
Tree With Deep Roots (뿌리 깊은 나무) –Wow! A wonderful 사극 fiction about The Great King Sejong and Hangeul! How can I not love this?
49 Days (49 일) – Wonderful concept. And finally we have a lead guy that is smart – thank goodness! It kept me engaged. Wonderful message. But the ending ruined everything. Actually it was okay for me, but after watching Scent Of A Woman I realized how lousy 49 Days’ ending was.
What’s Up Fox? (여우야 뭐하니?) – Kim Do-Wo is really a poignant writer. A fun fun fun drama. An unusual love story done in a very realistic way. A totally different Ms. Go.
Secret Garden (시크릿 가든) – I love it. I hate it. I hate to love it. I love to hate it. The drama that makes me so confused whether I like it or not. Overall, it is a good one. I enjoyed watching it. I even can’t stop watching it. Writer Kim Eun Sook is really the best when it comes to romance. However, me being a great My Name Is Kim Sam Soon fan, I get pretty annoyed at times.
Bad Couple (불량커플) – I watched this because of Kim Hyang-Ki, but got hooked to it in no time. I love the characters. Can relate to Dang-Ja and I wish Ki-Chan does exist! He’s the most IDEAL guy character among all the K-dramas that I’ve seen. Wonderful OST too!!! (Of course, Noh Young-Shim is really the best!). But after watching Scent Of A Woman, I just had to take this down my top 10 list.
When It’s At Night (밤이면 밤아다) – It’s not that bad… Really, it’s not THAT bad! And Kim Sun-Ah is very pretty here… And I still believe she and Lee Dong-Gun has a good chemistry… Writing and directing is not so good, but it’s a Kim Sun-Ah drama, so it should be on my top 10 list! hahaha.
Dal Ja’s Spring (달자의 봄) – Woman Power at it’s best!
Drunken To Love You (醉後決定愛上你) – My first Taiwanese drama and I haven’t felt this way in watching a drama for a long time. I so love it.
Housekeeper Mita (家政婦のミタ) – The first Japanese drama that I loved so much! It’s difficult not to get attached to Mita and the rest of the Asuda family.
- Kim Sun Ah
- Han Ji Min
- Song Yoon Ah
- Shin Eun Kyung
- Go Hyun Jung
- Moon Geun Young
- Kim Seo Yoon
- Kim Ha Neul
- Lee Jung Jin ♥
- Jang Dong Gun ♥
- Park Gun Hyung
- Cha Seung Won
- Cha Tae Hyun
- Park Yoo Chun
- Park Yong Ha
- Gong Yoo
- Hyun Bin
- Lee Dong Wook
- Lee Joo Hyun
FAVORITE CHILD STARS
- Kim Hyang Ki
- Jun Min Seo
- Lee Young Yoo
- Shim Eun Kyung
FAVORITE DRAMA WRITERS
- Kim Eun Seok (Lovers series, On Air, City Hall, Secret Garden, A Gentleman’s Dignity)
- Kim Do Wo (My Name Is Kim Sam Soon, What’s Up Fox?, Me Too, Flower)
- Kim Young Hyun (The Great Jang Geum, Queen Seon Deok, H.I.T., Tree With Deep Roots)
- Lee Hee Myung (Bad Family, Rooftop Prince)
- Noh Ji Seol (Scent Of A Woman)
- Kim Ji Woon, Kim Jin Hee (Alice in Cheongdamdong)
FAVORITE DRAMA DIRECTORS
- Kim Yoon Chul (My Name Is Kim Sam Soon, Her Flowerpot No. 1)
- Shin Woo Chul
FAVORITE KPOP GROUP
- Noh Young Shim
DRAMAS I’VE SEEN:
(in chronological order)
- My Name Is Kim Sam Soon
- Lovers In Paris – it was so much fun and promising at first, but I hated it when it suddenly took a 360 degree turn to melodrama at the middle. I also hate the kisses. For a Kim Sun Ah fan who was spoiled with hot-open-mouthed-passionate kisses, I throw tantrums at each and every kiss in K-dramaland that doesn’t meet the ‘standards’ set by Kim Sun Ah.
- What’s Up Fox?
- Coffee Prince – I picked it up because Kim Sun Ah has nothing on and I like Gong Yoo. It was not really bad, but I had to keep dragging my feet just to finish it. Not my type of drama.
- My Girl – same with Coffee Prince, I had to drag myself to finish watching it. It was not bad… but maybe it’s really just not my type.
- 14 Year Old Mother (Japanese) – I love it! The brave attack to a controversial theme and kudos to Shida Mirai who did an excellent job!
- Dalja’s Spring
- Who Are You? – A good story and concept. But somehow the acting irked me towards the later part. Not engaging enough thus it took me years to get to the final episode. Good thing Yoon Kye Sang smiles a lot.
- When It’s At Night
- Nodame Cantabile (Japanese) – Uhm… I’m not really into manga/anime type… But Nodame is cute though!
- Koi No Chikara (Japanese) – love it for it’s maturity that I never thought I can find in a Japanese drama.
- Bad Couple
- Bodyguard – discovering Cha Seung Won – the comedian.
- City Hall
- Soul – a nice cure for City Hall withdrawal syndrome. Engaging but I just don’t get the ending. I understand it… but I just don’t get why things happened that way.
- On Air
- Kyeong Suk, Kyeong Suk’s Father – wonderful dark comedy and Shim Eun Kyung is such a darling.
- The Women Who Still Wants To Marry
- Secret Garden
- 9 Ends 2 Outs – ugh! I love the premise, the lines were awesome. But I got tired towards the middle. Finished it for the sake of finishing.
- 49 Days
- Scent Of A Woman
- Flowers For My Life
- Doctor Champ – Cinematography is really wonderful. I love all the characters. But the story is kinda weak. The premise is good, but the execution is weak. Quoting my mom, it simply looks like a movie prolonged to 16 hours. It’s engaging though because the characters are well played.
- Tree With Deep Roots
- Drunken To Love You (Taiwanese)
- Rooftop Prince
- Gentlemen’s Dignity
- Anego (Japanese)
- I’m your housekeeper, Mita (Japanese)
- Rich Man Poor Woman (Japanese)
- I Do I Do
- 18 vs 28
- Reply 1997
- Alice in Cheondamdong
- The Queen’s Classroom
- I Can Hear Your Voice
- TEN Season 1
- TEN Season 2
- Me Too, Flower
- Master’s Sun
- Arang and the Magistrate
- The King 2 Hearts
- Around 40 (Japanese)
- Gumiho: Tale of the Fox Child
- The Queen’s Classroom (Japanese)
- I Need Romance
- I Need Romance 2
- God’s Gift 14 Days
- You Who Came From The Stars
- I Need Romance 3
- Boss 1
- Boss 2
- My Girlfriend is a Gumiho
- ?Dream High
- ?Birth of a Beauty
- ?It’s Okay It’s Love
- ?Oh My Ghost
- ?Missing Korea
- ?Splash Splash Love
- Superman Returns
- She Was Pretty
- Another Oh Hae Young
Moon That Embraces The Sun (on episode 6)
Gourmet (on episode 10)
I Am Legend (on episode 7)
Bad Guy (on episode 4)
Lovers (on episode 4)
Fantasy Couple (almost watched the entire series with my mom)
Bad Family (on episode 1)
Worlds Within (on episode 4)
La Dolce Vita (on episode 2)
Last Scandal of My Life (on episode 1)
The Greatest Love (episode 1)
Lovers In Prague (episode 2)
Style (episode 1)
All About My Romance (ep 3)
WANTS TO RE-WATCH:
Lovers In Paris (with Korean subtitles)
Scent of a Woman (with Korean subtitles)
A Gentleman’s Dignity (with Korean subtitles)
9 Ends 2 Outs
TO WATCH LIST
Can You Hear My Heart?
Can We Get Married?
Dae Jang Geum
Down With Love (Taiwanese)
Easy Fortune Happy Life (Taiwanese)
Fated To Love You (Taiwanese)
Flowerboy Next Door
It Started With A Kiss
Love For A Thousand Years
My Sweet Seoul
Protect The Boss
How To Meet A Perfect Neighbor
Que Sera Sera
Queen In Hyun’s Man
Queen Seon Deok
Sons of Sol Pharmacy
Story of a Man
The Woman Who Wants To Marry (2004)
They Kiss Again
When A Man Loves
Will It Snow For Christmas?
In Time With You
It was supposed to be my first Taiwanese drama. I enjoyed it. Not bad at all. But it doesn’t capture my heart. I am also annoyed with the lead guy character. Ariel Lin is very pretty though. I can’t find subtitles for later episodes so I stopped watching and watched another Taiwanese drama instead (Drunken To Love You) and loved it to pieces, thus dropping this one and will just re-watch and re-watch and re-watch Drunken To Love you to familiarize myself with the sounds of Mandarin. Maybe, if I find some time in the future, I’ll pick this drama up again.
Flames of Ambition
Though I love Shim Eun Kyung, the plot doesn’t interest me… and what? 50 episode? With plots about chaebols and stuff… hmmm no thanks for now.
I’ve been wanting to watch this, but after seeing few scenes from the local broadcast, I don’t think I can tolerate watching it. (1) Too similar with City Hall’s plot – a drama I consider second best (before Scent Of A Woman changed my entire drama perspective) and (2) somehow Ms. Go doesn’t impress me anymore, in this drama at least.
Boys Over Flowers
“Popular” is not really my type of thing. Or is it the Hana Yori Dango thing? I’ve heard and believed so much about the Hana Yori thing. I know it’s good. But somehow I can’t get myself to watch any versions at all. Ok, call me weird. Just glanced at episode one to check what the people are talking about and stopped there.
My mom bought the DVD… searched for Kim Hyang-Ki’s scene – and… that’s about it.
I Really Really Like You
Glanced at it while my mom was watching (on local broadcast and on her DVD). Liked Lee Min-Ki, but has a very low tolerance with Yoo-Jin.
The Lawyers of Korea
Got a bootleg DVD copy but – and it was defective – didn’t bother to make an effort to download and watch it.
My Man’s Woman
Mom bought the DVD. I feel it’s the same old story, so I just didn’t bother
Yawn! No thanks! I just want to see the grown up little Mi-Joo that’s why I looked at it.
I love the child star Jung Da-Bin, but again it’s Yoo-Jin, so thanks but no thanks.
Mom bought a CD… not my type.
A Game About Love
Mom adores Joe Chien, I like her, but I’m not that much into her.